Government of Saskatchewan
Quick Search:
Thursday, July 02, 2015

1. Where can employers get information about the Saskatchewan Immigrant Nominee Program (SINP)?  Where are applications available?

If you have any questions regarding the SINP please visit the SINP section.  Employers can also contact the SINP by phone at 306-798-SINP (7467), by email at or they can come to the SINP office at: 7th floor, 1945 Hamilton St., Regina, SK.

In Saskatoon, employers can visit our immigration office at 200, 202 4th Avenue N.

2. I need skilled workers to work in my company.  Do you have a list of foreign workers wanting to come to Saskatchewan?

No.  The SINP does not match potential foreign workers with potential employers in Saskatchewan.  We do encourage you to use Saskatchewan's free job order website which enables employers to list their vacancies.  This website is accessible to potential applicants worldwide.

The SINP periodically goes on recruitment missions with Saskatchewan employers to various countries where we promote our program and facilitate the recruitment of skilled workers.  Please contact our office for information on overseas missions or if your company is interested in participating in overseas recruitment missions.

3. What is NOC and the NOC matrix?  Where can employers access information about the National Occupation Classification?

The NOC is a tool that provides a standardized system for understanding Canadian occupations.  It describes duties, skills, interests, aptitudes, education requirements and work settings for occupations in the Canadian labour market.  The NOC Matrix is a chart showing the relationship between skill types and skill levels within the NOC system.  It provides an overview of the entire classification structure.

Learn more about the National Occupation Classification or call 306-564-5603.

4. What is a Designated Trade in Saskatchewan?

A Designated Trade in Saskatchewan is an occupation recognized as a trade by the Saskatchewan Apprenticeship and Trade Certification Commission (SATCC).  For a list of designated trades visit the SATCC website.

5. What criteria determine if a job is a skilled position?

The SINP considers an occupation to be a skilled occupation if it falls under the National Occupation Classification levels 0, A or B on the NOC matrix or is a Designated Trade in Saskatchewan.  Saskatchewan employers should submit a copy of the job description to the SINP to determine if the occupation is skilled.

6. What occupations qualify under the SINP International Skilled Worker category?

International Skilled Worker applicants with job offers must have a permanent full-time job offer from a Saskatchewan employer in an occupation or trade in the NOC level 0, A, B or in a designated trade in Saskatchewan.  Go to the Application Guide for the International Skilled Worker Category.

7. What must an employer do to hire low-skilled foreign workers?

If you are interested in hiring in low-skilled occupations on a permanent basis, contact the SINP to discuss your options. 

If you are interested in hiring on temporary basis please visit the Service Canada website for the pilot project for hiring temporary workers requiring lower levels of education (NOC level "C" or "D"). 

8. How do I obtain a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA)?

A LMIA is an opinion provided by Service Canada (SC) to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) which assesses the likely impact that hiring the requested foreign worker(s) may have on the Canadian labour market.  To hire a Temporary Foreign Worker, you must obtain a favorable LMIA from SC.  For more information on how to obtain a LMIA from SC visit the SC website or the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website.

9. Who is responsible for covering the various costs associated with bringing foreign workers to Saskatchewan?

It is up to the applicant and/or employer to cover the costs associated with immigration.  There is no cost to the employer or immigrant to apply for nomination under the SINP.

Please click here to see regulations related to immigration costs and charges.

10. What costs are employers expected and/or required to cover when hiring foreign workers?

Employers do not incur any costs in having an employee (or potential employee) apply through the SINP; however, the basic responsibility for an employer who wishes to hire a foreign worker is to evaluate the foreign worker's education, work experience and language skills to ensure they will be able to perform the duties of the job.  It is up to the employer to decide how they want to recruit.  Any costs associated with recruitment would be at the employer's expense.

All employers must offer wages and working conditions that match Canadian standards in that occupation.  The employer should have information that will help the foreign worker settle in the province.  The Employer Unit of the SINP can assist an employer to develop a settlement plan and get support from the community.  Call for more information.

Please click here to see regulations related to immigration costs and charges.

11. Does the SINP charge a fee to employers or applicants?

The SINP Entrepreneur Category charges a processing fee of $2,500 to applicants due to the resources required to process these applications.

The SINP does not charge fees for the other categories; however, applicants who have received nomination by the SINP will be subject to the federal CIC fees.

12. Does the government of Saskatchewan provide any grants or tax concessions to employers who hire foreign workers?


13. What must be included in the job offer?

The job offer must come from a legitimate and registered Saskatchewan employer, addressed to the applicant and it must list all of the following:
• The job title and a description of duties and responsibilities;
• The salary the applicant will receive;
• The benefits the employer will provide; and,
• The company's contact information.

All positions must offer wages and working conditions that match Saskatchewan standards in that occupation.

14. What hourly rate should the employer pay as a starting wage?

The employer must pay fair wages and benefits according to the Labour Market Information for that occupation and region.  All employers must offer wages and working conditions that match Canadian standards in that occupation.

Labour market information for Saskatchewan can be found on Job Bank.

15. How long does it take for an application to be processed at Saskatchewan Immigration?  What about at the Canadian Embassy?

Successful SINP applications will have their files assessed within 4-8 months.  Processing times at the Canadian Embassies vary; however, successful SINP applications typically receive visas considerably quicker than individuals applying through federal immigration classes.  The average time from making the SINP application to receiving a visa has been about 13 months. Please visit SINP Processing Time and CIC Processing Time for more information.

16. What is an open work permit?

An open work permit allows the holder to accept employment and work for any employer in Canada in any occupation for the time period specified on the work permit without the need of a Service Canada Labour Market Impact Assessment.  Once applicants have been nominated by the SINP, their spouses can apply for an open work permit allowing them to work for any employer in any field.

17. When is a foreign worker who is on a temporary work permit eligible to apply through the Existing Work Permit sub-category?

To be considered in this sub-category, applicants must have:

  • A valid work permit issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada;
  • A confirmed offer of permanent, full-time employment with a Saskatchewan employer;
  • Worked for more than six months under a Temporary Work Permit issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) for the employer offering them the job.  Their work permit must be supported by a Service Canada's (SC) labour market confirmation or a North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) exemption; and,
  • A job offer in an occupation or trade in the National Occupational Classification Matrix A, B, 0 or a designated trade in Saskatchewan.

18. Does a foreign worker need to receive permanent resident status before they can begin working for me?

No.  Once an applicant receives nomination from the SINP, they can apply for a temporary work permit.  The temporary work permit allows the applicant to start working in Saskatchewan while waiting for their file to be assessed and approved by CIC.

It is also possible to hire foreign workers before they apply to the SINP for permanent resident status.  Canadian employers can apply to SC for a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) which will allow them to employ foreign workers.  The foreign worker must then submit this LMIA along with their application to work in Canada to the CIC visa office responsible for their country of residence. 

Foreign Workers must have a valid visa or work permit to work in Canada.  For more information on applying for a Labour Market Impact Assessment, visit Service Canada's website.

© 2015 Government of Saskatchewan. All rights reserved.