Government of Saskatchewan
Quick Search:
Tuesday, May 24, 2016

What are Settlement Advisors?

Settlement Advisors are knowledgeable individuals who can help you understand and use Saskatchewan services.  They can help you find answers to your questions and guide you as you settle in your community. Their job is to assist you in determining and completing your settlement plan.

How can a Settlement Advisor help me?

When you meet with a Settlement Advisor, you can ask them about any issue related to your settlement in Saskatchewan.  They will discuss in detail your settlement needs and help you develop your settlement plan.  Use your Settlement Advisor’s knowledge and experience to find community resources and services to meet your needs.  Settlement Advisors can advise you which services are appropriate to handle specific challenges, such as health and wellness issues, or difficulties in the workplace or housing issues.

Can a Settlement Advisor assist me with an immigration application?

No, a Settlement Advisor cannot help you with immigration documents and processes.  For help with immigration documents and processes you will need to contact Citizenship and Immigration Canada or the Saskatchewan Immigrant Nominee Program.

How can I find a Settlement Advisor?

To find a Settlement Advisor, you should contact the Regional Newcomer Gateway closest to you. Regional Newcomer Gateways are welcome centres for newcomers arriving Saskatchewan. There are 11 Gateways throughout the province. You will find their locations on the Interactive Map.  Even though Gateways have different names, they all provide the same service.

Here is a list of the 11 Gateways and their locations:

If you qualify for services, the Regional Newcomer Gateway will set up an appointment for you with a Settlement Advisor.  You may meet with your Settlement Advisor at the Gateway or at another place, such as a library, that is close to you.

Can anyone meet with a Settlement Advisor?

You are eligible to receive services from a Settlement Advisor if you are a newcomer immigrant to Saskatchewan.  This means that you have lived in Saskatchewan for less than two years, and are at least eighteen (18) years of age.

What if I do not speak English?

Settlement Advisors will be able to help you, even if you do not speak English.  They use an “over-the-phone” interpretation service to speak with immigrants in their own language.  You can find more information about using an interpreter in Over-the-Phone Interpretation (OPI).  You can also bring a family member or friend to translate for you when you speak with your Settlement Advisor.

How long will it take for me to see a Settlement Advisor?

If you are eligible for the service, your Regional Newcomer Gateway will set up an initial meeting for you with a Settlement Advisor.  You should be able to meet your Settlement Advisor within seven days.

Do I have to pay to meet with a Settlement Advisor?

No.  Settlement Advisors provide their services at no cost to you.

For how long can I continue to meet with the Settlement Advisor? 

The Settlement Advisor will work with you until you meet the goals that you identify in the settlement plan.  Immigrants who are in Saskatchewan for less than two years are eligible for the Settlement Advisor service. 

© 2016 Government of Saskatchewan. All rights reserved.