Government of Saskatchewan
Quick Search:
Monday, May 30, 2016

You may need to have your qualifications assessed.  The assessment determines how your qualifications compare to Canadian qualifications or to the standards for your occupation.  Qualifications may include your education, training and work experience.

If your occupation is regulated, your regulatory organization may conduct its own assessment or it may require that you have your qualifications assessed by another organization.  It is important to contact your regulatory body before you have an assessment done to find out their process.  Each regulatory body has different requirements and processes, so you may end up spending money unnecessarily if you do not do this research first.

Here are some of the questions you may want to ask your regulatory organization about their assessment process:

  • Which credentials do I need to have evaluated?
  • How are they evaluated and by whom?
  • What does it cost?
  • How long will it take?
  • Does the evaluation report need to be sent directly back to the regulatory body from the credential assessment agency?

For more information on qualification assessment, contact your regulatory organization.

If you are looking for work in a non-regulated occupation, you may still find it helpful to have your educational qualifications assessed to show employers how your qualifications compare to Canadian qualifications.  Sometimes an employer may ask you for this assessment.  Here is a list of assessment services that can evaluate post-secondary education diplomas or degrees from other countries.  They cannot evaluate work experience or training in the trades.

An assessment of your qualifications will take longer if you do not provide all the required documents in the way the organization requires.  You may need to have your documents translated into English before they can be assessed.  This will also take time.

© 2016 Government of Saskatchewan. All rights reserved.