Government of Saskatchewan
Quick Search:
Monday, May 30, 2016

Benefits for People with Children

In Canada, all families can receive money to help raise their children who are 18 years old or younger.  Everyone with children under the age of six can receive the Universal Child Care Benefit.

The Canada Child Tax Benefit (CCTB) is a tax-free payment made to the family once a month.  The amount you get from the CCTB depends on your income.  RC66 Canada Child Benefits Application.

Activities and Programs for Children

Many communities have public parks with swings, slides and wading pools, where children play.  Parents usually stay with their younger children when they play in a park.  Some cities and towns have a time (curfew) when children cannot be in the park and should be at home.  In the summer, parks in larger centers have day programs for children.

Many programs and special-interest clubs for children and young adults are year-round in most communities.  Depending where you live, there might be programs for sports, gymnastics, martial arts, music and art, ethnic dancing, singing, reading and religion.  Most of the activities take place after school, Saturdays, or evenings.  Many cost money to join.

Besides the ones that cost money, free library programs and many community events are available for children.  These may be advertised at the library and in local newspapers.  In some communities, lower-income families can get a leisure services card that lets adults and children swim, use a gym and take in exercise sessions for free.

In cities, children's programs are advertised in Leisure Services Guides that are delivered to your mail-box and "Coming Events" are published in newspapers.  In smaller centers, you might find them advertised in local newspapers or on public bulletin boards.

Saskatchewan has many programs to improve children's health.  See the Health section of this website for more information.  Child Support and Protection deals with child abuse or child neglect.

Programs for Women and Women's Rights

Many women in Saskatchewan study and work outside the home.  They also drive cars and often share tasks of child-raising and housework.  They have the same rights, legal status and opportunities as men; the position of women in the province is supported by Saskatchewan's Status of Women Office

A Guide to the Law for Saskatchewan Women talks about women's rights in the family and community.  For women and children who need to get away from abuse, shelters and crisis centers provide temporary food, housing and support for women and children.

Many specific programs and activities are available for women newcomers.  Many women work or study outside of the home and have common needs for child day care.  Depending where you live, there can be many options to choose from; there might be classes on nutrition, health, pre-natal and infant care, and various women's support groups.  In some communities, one organization might be in charge of all programs.  Check with your Regional Newcomer Gateway to find out what is available where you live.  

Financial Assistance gives information on financial help for women and their families in the areas of housing, health and learning.

Senior Citizens

In Saskatchewan one out of seven people are seniors (65 years old or older). Many seniors have active exercise programs and volunteer in many community organizations. They are an active part of Saskatchewan communities, often with their own meeting places and special events.

Many seniors continue to live independently for many years. When they need extra care, many move to seniors' residences, where they still live independently but receive needed support, such as nursing help. When they cannot be independent any more, some choose to live with their relatives and others choose to live in special-care homes, also called nursing homes. In a care-home environment, many seniors live together and are cared for by paid staff. Besides healthcare, many other programs are provided such as exercise, music and entertainment. Special-care homes can be government operated or privately owned.

There are different assistance programs available for seniors. Low-income seniors can receive rental assistance. There are assisted living services that provide meals and laundry services for a fee. Home care services allow seniors to live independently for a longer period of time by having personal care workers visit them at home to help them with bathing, food preparation, housekeeping and shopping. The Seniors' Drug Plan helps to pay for prescription medications. Seniors who qualify to receive the federal Old Age Security pension and a Guaranteed Income Supplement can also receive a provincial Seniors Income Plan to help cover basic living needs.

People 65 years and older can get discounts on bus passes and train tickets. They can also get discounts on purchases in certain stores, some hotel stays and restaurant meals.

If you are a senior, in order to get discounts, you need to carry Personal Identification (ID) that gives proof of your age.

© 2016 Government of Saskatchewan. All rights reserved.