Government of Saskatchewan
Quick Search:
Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Many people find it most convenient to get around using their own private vehicles (cars, trucks, vans).  To drive in Saskatchewan, you will need a valid driver's licence.  You also need to have your vehicle insured to protect you in case of injuries, accidents, vandalism or theft.  Saskatchewan Government Insurance (SGI) is the provincial government agency in charge of all driver licensing and vehicle registration.

If you are a new resident to Saskatchewan and have a valid driver's licence from another part of Canada, the United States, the United Kingdom, Australia, Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Isle of Man, Japan, Jersey, Netherlands, New Zealand, Republic of Ireland, South Karea or Switzerland, you can apply for a Saskatchewan licence within 90 days of moving to Saskatchewan.  In most cases, you will be able to get a Saskatchewan licence issued without taking a road test. 

If you have a driver's licence from a country not listed above, and have had it for more than nine months, you will need to take tests to get a Saskatchewan licence, but will not be required to take driver education or wait the usual nine month learning period between the written and road test.

Can I Use My International Permit to Drive in Saskatchewan?

You are allowed to drive for three months using a valid driver's licence from most countries, if you have the original licence from your home country, an English or French translation of it, an International Driver's Permit and proof of your driving record.  SGI will determine if you need to be placed in the Graduated Driver’s Licensing Program.  If you have a good driving record from your home country, you may be eligible for an insurance discount.

Sometimes, SGI is able to approve some foreign licences in their original languages.  To find out if this is possible for you, call or visit the main SGI office and ask if there is someone able to approve your licence in its original language.  If it is possible, you will make an appointment with the person who will approve your licence.

SGI’s main office is located at:

2260 – 11th Avenue
Regina, Saskatchewan  S4P 0J9
Phone:  1-800-667-8015

How do I get a Saskatchewan Driver's License?

There are different licences offered in Saskatchewan depending on which kind of vehicle you want to drive, such as a car, a freight truck or a motorcycle.  Most people are interested in getting their Class 7 (Learner's) and Class 5 (Driver's) Licences so that they can drive their own cars, trucks or vans.

How to Get a Driver's Licence tells you about what documents you need when you apply for a licence.  It explains photo identification (ID) and how to book a driver's test.  If you wear glasses or contact lenses, take them with you when you go for any appointments.

When you want to get a Class 7 (Learner’s) licence, you must first study the Saskatchewan Driver's Handbook that has information on traffic signs, signals, basic driving skills and the rules of the road.  You pay the fee, then book an appointment and go for your examination at one of SGI's centres.  In Regina and Saskatoon, you can go to an SGI office and take the test without making an appointment ahead of time.  If you pass the written or oral tests, you will receive a Class 7 (Learner's) Licence.  It allows you to drive only with a supervising driver who is experienced and licensed so that you can gain driving experience.  When you have a Class 7 licence, you must not drive without a qualified, supervising driver. 

The Saskatchewan Driver's Handbook is available in Ukrainian as well as in English and French.

Driving alone requires a Class 5 Licence.  To get one, you must complete the learner's stage of the Graduated Driver's Licensing Program.  During the learner's stage, you receive in-class instruction and in-car training from a qualified driving school.  Then you must make an appointment to take a road test and you must pass it.  In the Graduated Driver's Licensing Program, you reach the level of "Experienced Driver" in stages that include 6 months in Novice 1, then 12 months in Novice 2 (provided you do not have any accidents or traffic convictions).

Tests are only available in Canada's official languages: English and French.  SGI approved interpreters may assist with translation of written tests.  You are not allowed to bring your own translator for tests.  To find a certified interpreter, contact SGI or your Regional Newcomer Gateway.

Vehicle Registration

Many people in Saskatchewan own their own vehicle.  In rural areas and smaller cities and towns, it is often necessary to have your own vehicle as there is often very little public transportation.  Every vehicle in Saskatchewan must be registered and insured.  You will find more information on buying and registering a vehicle in Saskatchewan in the following documents:

Buying and Registering a Vehicle in Saskatchewan
Auto Insurance in Saskatchewan

© 2015 Government of Saskatchewan. All rights reserved.